- Read me…
- Members Gallery
- Society News
- Year at a Glance 2013.5
Welcome to the Mosman Art Society!
Mosman is a locality with a rich artistic heritage going back to the mid 19th century*. The Mosman Art Society was established following discussions held by a group of Mosman residents in 1994 who shared a vision of a studio and gallery where artists could meet and share their common interest in art. As a result of this the Society was incorporated in June 1995**.
The following were the Aims and Philosophy adopted by the Steering Committee at their meeting on May 11, 1995:
- to foster the development, practice and love of art throughout the community
- the Society will work towards the creation of a Mosman Art Gallery to be part of the regional galleries programme
- the establishment of a venue to provide a working studio, exhibition and function area for the use of members of the Society
- to seek co-operative ventures with other creative organizations
Three years later, the Mosman Council established the Mosman Art Gallery and Community Centre. This was a most significant and welcome milestone in the cultural history of Mosman and its surrounding suburbs.
It was agreed from the beginning that the Mosman Art Society would be an inclusive society with both Social and Exhibiting Members. At the same time works submitted for an exhibition would be subjected to a selection process. The Society endeavours to ensure that all Exhibition entrants are represented by at least one work. Our membership includes professional artists, amateur artists, students and those who just love and appreciate art. The Society has grown over the past 15 years and now has more than 180 members.
Each year, audited accounts are presented at the Annual General Meeting of members. The constitution is filed with the Department of Fair Trading and a copy may be inspected by arrangement with the Secretary of the Society. The Society has a Not For Profit Organisation Public and Product Liability Insurance Policy.
The Patron of the Society is Paul Delprat, the Principal of the Julian Ashton Art School which was established as the Sydney Art School in 1890. The Julian Ashton Art School currently has two campuses, one at the Rocks in the City of Sydney and one at Headland Park at Georges Heights in Mosman. Paul has been a most valued member since the inception of the Society.
*Artist’s Camps by Robin Tranner
*Controversy and Acclaim : 60 years of the Mosman Art Prize
** Mosman Art Society – The first years By Shirley Perrett (available in the Mosman Library)
What we do…
Society members enjoy a wide range of activities including:
- two or three exhibitions of members works a year. The autumn exhibition is usually held at the Fred Hutley Hall, North Sydney Council Chambers in North Sydney and every second year the summer exhibition is held at the Mosman Art Gallery. Over the last two years a third 9”x 5” exhibition has been held at the Julian Ashton Art School at Headland Park, Georges Heights, in Mosman.
- lecture/demonstrations by established artists on Tuesday evenings at the Mosman Art Gallery (approximately 6-8 per year)
- outdoor painting (en plein Air) around Mosman held monthly on alternate Mondays and Thursdays
- social gatherings from time to time including the end of year party following the Annual General Meeting
- Mosman Art Society supports art in the community by contributing to the Mosman Youth Art Prize, the Mosman Art Prize and the North Sydney Art Prize
Mosman Art Society Incorporated is an independent incorporated association of artists with the following aims:
- to foster the development , practice and love of art throughout the community
- to support the Mosman Art Gallery and other galleries, art schools and art societies particularly in and around Mosman and from North Sydney to the Northern Beaches
- to initiate and participate in cooperative ventures with other bodies
- to work towards the establishment of a venue to provide a working studio, exhibition and function area for the use of members of the Society
MOSMAN ART SOCIETY INC. COMMITTEE MEMBERS
At a meeting on 4 May 1995, the following steering committee was formed by a group of artists interested in establishing an art society in Mosman.
|Patron||Paul Delprat||May, 1995|
|Founding President||Joan Murcell||May, 1995|
|President||Bryan Besly||May, 1995|
|Vice President||Noel Bennett||May, 1995||November,1995|
|Secretary||Carolyn Boatman||May, 1995||November, 1995|
|Treasurer||Shirley Perrett||May, 1995||November, 1995|
|Public Officer||Christine Crimmins||May, 1995|
|Committee Member||Jill Brown||May, 1995|
|Committee Member||Rosemary Christmas||May, 1995||December, 1996|
|Committee Member||Lindsay Howarth||May, 1995|
|Secretary||Noel Bennett||November, 1995|
|Treasurer||Barbara Wade||November, 1995|
|Committee Member||Shirley Perrett||November, 1995||October,2001|
|Secretary||Angels Hart||March 1996|
|Vice President||Noel Bennett||March,1996||November, 1998|
|Committee Member||Paul Delprat||March,1996|
|Secretary||Rosemary Christmas||December, 1996|
|Committee Member||John Eldershaw||December, 1996|
|Secretary||John Eldershaw||November, 1997||October, 2001|
|Committee Member||Betty Green||November, 1997||October, 2001|
|Vice President||Gerald Christmas||November, 1998|
|Committee Member||Sue Frew||November, 1998|
|Committee Member||Elaine Romalis||November,1998|
|Committee Member||Ernie Gerzabek||November, 1999|
|Committee Member||Pat Graham||November, 2000|
|Committee Member||Sandra Schaeffer||November, 2000|
|Secretary||Anne-Nicole Casey||October, 2001||November, 2005|
|Committee Member||Julie Keech||November, 2002|
|Committee Member||Michael Morton-Evans||November, 2004||November, 2005|
|Vice President||Michael Morton-Evans||November, 2005|
|Secretary||Jan Hook||November, 2005|
|Committee Member||John Lynn||November, 2005|
|Committee Member||Glenda Wong||November, 2005|
On 20 June 1995, the name “ Mosman Art Society Incorporated” was reserved with the Deptartment of Consumer Affairs and the Certificate of Incorporation was issued on 21 June 1995.
First AGM 12 March 1996
AGM 8 December 1996
AGM 30 November 1997
AGM 29 November 1998
AGM 26 November 2000
AGM 21 October 2001
AGM 28 Novemer 2002
AGM 30 November 2003
AGM 28 November 2004
AGM 27 November 2005
Your Shopping CartYour cart is empty
Autumn Exhibition, Saturday May 11 and May 18 (9am to 5pm), remaining days to Sunday May 19, 2013, 10am to 5pm. Hutley Hall, 200 Miller St, North Sydney.
Autumn Exhibition 2013 Venue: Hutley Hall, 200 Miller St, North Sydney Duration: Saturday May 11[...]
Mosman Art Society Incorporated
PO Box 343
Spit Junction NSW 2088 Australia